Once I switched to Tom’s of Maine Waxed Flat Floss, I never looked back. I know, I know. You’re thinking, “Dental floss isn’t exciting at all! Why should I get this when I barely use the one I have now?” And yes, I know that you’re probably not flossing every day.
I recently asked my dental hygienist if she could tell that people would try to fool the dentist by beginning to floss only a few days before their dentist appointments, as some of my friends confessed to doing. She said, “Sometimes I can’t tell, sometimes I can–but really, shouldn’t they be flossing for their own benefit, not my approval?” Good point. I admit that I do like the validation that I get from hearing praise for my “good home care,” but the bottom line is that it’s good for your health to floss daily.
In my unenlightened life before Tom’s of Maine (or B.T.M., as I call it), I used to floss with Glide floss daily and used a Sonicare toothbrush at night (with the sanitizer container which I love). Got great reviews from my dentist about plaque removal. But–after I switched to Tom’s of Maine Waxed Flat Floss, he asked me what I had been doing differently since I had even less plaque than before. The floss is so fibrous, it pulls out all the plaque, unlike floss that is smoother, like Glide.
Why I’m obsessed:
- It has just the right amount of texture to get ALL the gunk out of the small spaces between your teeth–but also enough wax so that you’re not wrestling with the floss to get it out of a tight spot.
- It’s natural–if you care about that kind of thing for something going into your mouth. Every. Single. Day.
- Important: Make sure to get the “Flat Floss” version, not the “Round” one.
- I order a pack of 6 from Amazon with a subscription, which ends up being cheaper in the end, at $3.00 each, vs. $5.75 each.
- It’s not available at every retail store, so I stock up. Might as well, I hope to always have teeth to floss!
- If the fibers fall apart, you can use your fingertips to roll it back into shape.
- They have flavors like spearmint, which isn’t overpowering at all