Does anyone remember the Dewey Decimal System for classifying library book topics? While it sounds nerdy and boring, the concept works delightfully well for the guest rooms at one of my favorite New York City boutique hotels, the Library Hotel.
Instead of staying at a big corporate chain hotel, why not have a unique experience while you’re in one of the most exciting cities in the world? I’ve stayed there twice and have been on the 7th floor both times, which is classified as the “Arts” floor because of course, we all know that it aligns with the Dewey Decimal System category. The first time, my room was “Photography” and had artwork and books on the wall of shelves related to…photography. The second time, I was also on the Arts floor, but in the “Performing Arts” room, which was more my style. I was able to read about dancers, composers and operas. I picked a Petite room since I was by myself and it was perfectly fine.
Why I’m obsessed with the Library Hotel:
- Every room has a surprise theme.
- FREE continental breakfast for every guest automatically! None of that nasty add-on business to include breakfast. Gluten-free bread is available.The Reading Room is a spacious library filled with books on every wall (surprise, they have a library at the Library Hotel!) where they serve free breakfast and a free daily wine and cheese reception.
- Beyond the free food mentioned already, they keep pastries (croissants, cookies, muffins), coffee, tea, water and fruit available ALL day long for all guests. It’s sort of like a club lounge that some hotels have where you can come in at any time of day and help yourself.
- Bookmarks Lounge is a lively rooftop terrace bar that is hopping on the weekend, especially in the summer.
- DVD lending library at the front desk for free. I watched the Amy Adams movie Enchanted, which I forgot was such a funny and sweet movie.
- Midtown location near Bryant Park is awesome if you need to go to Penn Station, Grand Central, Times Square, Chelsea, Koreatown, etc.
- They give you Library Hotel branded slippers and a robe. Love slippers at hotels!
- Turndown service with a chocolate in literary quote wrapper
- Free wifi
- Beyond shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, and lotion they provide cotton balls and cotton swabs
- 2 free bottles of water
- Empty fridge so you can store your own food and drinks
- If you book directly on the Library Hotel’s website, you can often find better deals than the online travel sites, depending on the timing.
- Or, click through from TripAdvisor and get a coupon that lets you book without prepayment.
- The Petite room is intended for only 1 person and like most NYC hotels, is pretty small. But I never felt like it was an issue.
- The bathroom has a separate sink area with a door you can fully close for the bathtub and toilet. Good if you’re staying with a friend.
- Use the promo code “FRIENDS” when booking if the TripAdvisor one doesn’t work out.
New York City, NY 10017