Question: If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only bring two lip products (I can’t imagine only taking one!), which ones would you choose? My answer is easy: Clinique Almost Lipstick and Clinique Superbalm Lip Moisturizing Gloss in Black Honey.
Why is the search for the perfect lip color and lip product never-ending? Some days you need a moisturizing one, a matte one, a glossy one, a plumping one, a bright one, depending on your mood. I’m sure that men wonder why women spend so much time looking for lipsticks, when theoretically you could only have one, but where’s the fun in that? 🙂
I heard about Clinique’s Black Honey color years ago from a department store counter saleslady who said it was their best seller and was a shade that “looked great on every complexion.” That’s a tall order, but I’ve seen proof of this with friends of all ethnicities. I’ve been buying Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey for years now. And that means something because I’m old…ish. 😀
Why I’m obsessed:
- The Black Honey shade is a wear every day/every occasion lip color that enhances your natural lip shade–meaning that you can easily wear it to work to make your lips pop–but you won’t look like you’re going out to the clubs. It’s like the Toyota of lip colors: not flashy, reliable and will get you there.
- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey is a subtle, sheer color that is easy to put on without a mirror. For example, those occasions where you’re quickly putting on lipstick while walking or in the elevator before you step outside–which is what I do every day. Multitasking!
- Since Almost Lipstick is so moisturizing, the color doesn’t stick to the flakiness of your chapped lips. Feel free to slather it on as much as you want. It’s buildable for more or less color.
- For chapped lips, Clinique Superbalm Lip Moisturizing Gloss in Black Honey is a stickier gloss that really does get rid of the flakiness on my lips better than anything else I’ve tried–but not so sticky that your hair will get stuck to in within minutes of applying. Leaves a slight hint of color and not too much shine.
- Clinique has capitalized on the popularity of this shade and offers Black Honey in eyeliner, eyeshadow and nail polish.
- Get the Black Honey Beauty Gift Set if you want to try them all out. I’ve tried the Quickliner and nail polish and they’re a nice reddish-maroon shade. I’ve seen the set at Sephora in the checkout/impulse buy area in the past.
- You can get Superbalm in the unisex clear shade (works for men too!), but I figure why not add color if you’re making the effort? If it means looking like I’m wearing lipstick when I go to bed at night, so be it.
- Weirdly, when I fly, the Clinique Superbalm Lip Moisturizing Gloss tube can be affected by the pressurized cabin and tends to spill out like a volcano that can’t be stopped until you land. Does lead to product waste, but a little goes a long way.
- Check out my before and after shots for Almost Lipstick in Black Honey:
Leave a Reply in the Comments section: What are the lip products that you can’t live without?
Clinique Almost Lipstick – Black Honey
2 thoughts on “Lipstick Color That Looks Good on Everyone: Clinique Almost Lipstick & Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss in Black Honey Review”